Your decision is made: you and your spouse are going to divorce. Since you get along well and don’t want the divorce to drag on, you want to opt for mutual consent. Although the amicable divorce procedure no longer necessarily takes place before the family court judge, each spouse must be accompanied by a Johnson County Divorce Lawyer.
Is it necessary to choose a divorce lawyer for an amicable procedure?
Since mutual consent divorce is an out-of-court process, you may be wondering whether it is necessary to hire a divorce lawyer. After all, you may know a very good business lawyer and you think they can probably represent you during divorce proceedings. For a contentious divorce, it is essential to be represented by a divorce lawyer. But it is the same in the context of a non-contentious divorce procedure.
In fact, although the procedure is simplified and conflict-free, it is preferable to be accompanied by a lawyer who specializes in family law issues. Indeed, throughout the procedure, you will inevitably have questions that a lawyer specializing in corporate law cannot answer. Choosing a lawyer specializing in divorce means deciding to be accompanied under the best conditions.
In addition, the role of the lawyer is even more central in the context of a divorce by mutual consent, the judge only intervening in rare cases. We therefore strongly advise you to be accompanied by a divorce lawyer.
What Are the Qualities of a Good Divorce Lawyer?
The divorce lawyer who will represent you must have certain qualities:
- He must be competent in divorce and family law. Thus, he will be able to accompany you whatever the progress of your divorce proceedings.
- He must know how to listen. If your lawyer does not ask you questions and does not answer your questions, we advise you to contact a professional with better listening skills.
- He must explain the procedure as well as the terms relating to the divorce clearly and precisely. We are not all lawyers: lawyers have to put themselves at the level of their clients.
- He should get back to you quickly if you have any questions. A lawyer who is difficult to reach will not be able to accompany you in good conditions. However, we must not forget that lawyers are very busy: it is normal to have to wait 48 hours for a return.
- He must know how to be reactive: proactive, the lawyer must keep you informed of the progress of the divorce procedure, even if you do not come back to him.
If you find a lawyer with all these qualities, you will be guaranteed to be fully represented during the amicable divorce proceedings.
How do I find a divorce lawyer?
You understand that it is important to be accompanied by a divorce lawyer, even for non-contentious proceedings. However, you don’t necessarily know how to find a lawyer: until now, you never needed one.