A chemical peel is a cosmetic procedure in which a solution is applied to the skin to remove the top layer of dead skin cells. The solution causes the skin to blister and peels off, revealing new, smoother skin. Brooklyn peels are typically used to improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, acne, and uneven skin tone.
Chemical peels are not recommended for people with active acne, rosacea, eczema, or other inflammatory skin conditions and should be avoided during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
Before the procedure, discussing your medical history and any medications you are taking with the provider is important. The skin will be thoroughly cleaned during the procedure, and a protective gel or cream may be applied around the eyes and lips.
Chemical peels aftercare
After a chemical peel, follow the aftercare instructions provided by your skincare professional to ensure the best possible outcome. Some common aftercare instructions include:
- Protecting the skin from sun exposure: Ensure to protect the treated skin by wearing sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30 and avoiding direct sun exposure for several weeks after the peel.
- Keeping the skin moisturized: Your skin may be dry and flaky after the peel, and you should keep it moisturized by applying a gentle, fragrance-free lotion or cream as directed by your skincare professional.
- Avoiding certain skincare products: You should avoid using products that contain retinoids, exfoliants, or other harsh ingredients on the treated skin for several days or weeks after the peel, as directed by your skincare professional.
- Avoiding picking or scratching the skin: The treated skin may be sensitive and prone to irritation, so avoid picking or scratching it to prevent infection or scarring.
- Avoiding sweating or saunas: Sweating and saunas can cause the treated skin to become irritated, which is why you should avoid these activities for several days or weeks after the peel, as directed by your skincare professional.
Benefits of chemical peels
Chemical peels are a popular cosmetic procedure that can benefit the skin. Some of the main benefits include:
- Improving the tone and texture of the skin: Chemical peels can help to even out the skin tone and texture, making it look smoother and more youthful.
- Reducing the appearance of dark spots and age spots: The procedure can help to reduce the appearance of age spots, hyperpigmentation, and other types of discoloration.
- Improving the appearance of acne: Chemical peels can aid in acne reduction by unclogging pores and removing dead skin cells that contribute to breakouts.
- Stimulating collagen production: Collagen is a protein that gives the skin strength and elasticity. A chemical peel can stimulate collagen production, helping to improve the skin’s overall appearance and health.
- Reducing the appearance of scars: Certain types of chemical peels can help to reduce the appearance of scars, including acne scars, by removing the top layer of skin and promoting the growth of new skin cells.
It’s always best to consult your skincare professional at Heights Aesthetic Laser Center to assess your skin type and condition and determine the best peel for you.