Hundreds of car crashes and accidents are reported in Idaho every year. Some accidents are minor fender benders, but many leave a trail of destruction behind. This is a fault state, so if the other driver was negligent or reckless behind the wheel, they are liable for your injuries and losses. To know the worth of your claim, consider talking to an Idaho car accident attorney. Check the steps you must follow after an accident.
- Call 911. Unless your injuries are severe and prevent you from moving, you should call 911 immediately. Even if others require medical attention, don’t delay in seeking help. Ensure that you share all relevant details.
- Inform the police. Call the local law enforcement from the accident scene if there is death or injury involved. Idaho’s state laws make it mandatory for drivers to report an accident if there is evident property damage worth $1,500 or more. Wait for the police to arrive at the scene.
- Check with other drivers. You need the contact info and insurance information of the other drivers involved in the crash. If there are witnesses to the accident, get their details too. Do not admit fault or blame the other party. In fact, limit your communication beyond the basic exchange of information.
- Inform your insurer. It is wise to inform your insurer of the car accident at the earliest. Idaho has a statute of limitations for filing injury lawsuits, but this doesn’t extend to car accident insurance claims.
- Call a lawyer. People often worry about the costs while looking for car accident lawyers. The good part is personal injury attorneys typically work on a contingency fee, which means you don’t have to pay the price right away. A good lawyer can evaluate the worth of your claim and ensure that you don’t settle for less.
Besides talking to a known attorney, limit your conversations with others about the car accident. Do not post anything on social media, and ensure that you don’t go around telling people about what happened. If you don’t want to deal with the insurance claims adjuster directly, ask them to wait and talk to your lawyer instead. Don’t settle for less than what you deserve, and it is wise to avoid a recorded statement until you have talked to your lawyer. Check online and find a lawyer for your car accident claim in Idaho now.